Every once and a while we find ourselves in awe of a simple suggestion by a friend or family member. It’s one of those moments when you think to yourself, “I would’ve never thought of that!” I’ve compiled a list of clever living space ideas compiled over years of living in various homes and apartments. Keep these clever ideas in mind, and casually mention them when you’re visiting family and friends over the holiday season. They will think you’re a genius!
1. Easily hull strawberries using a straw – Place the strawberry directly on the straw and push all the way through. Repeat until the straw is full, then empty the straw and repeat as needed.
2. Remove crayon masterpieces from your tv or computer with WD40 – Among its many uses, WD40 is an excellent cleaner for multiple surfaces. Apply to a soft rag and watch as the crayon graffiti wipes away easily.
3. Stop cut apples from browning by securing them with a rubber band – Don’t you hate when you go through the trouble of slicing an apple and then find it has thoroughly browned only hours later? Secure the cut apple with a rubber band for a quick fix.
4. Store bed linen sets inside one of their own pillowcases so there is never any question which ones match
5. Increase the volume of an iPhone or iPod by placing it in a bowl – The shape of the bowl amplifies sound automatically. This isn’t a replacement for a home stereo system, but provides a little boost in sound in a pinch.
6. Remove sand from your skin by applying baby powder.
7. Use string or wire to make a simple wrapping paper storage rack – The wire could be along the side of a closet, or better yet, use two wires to create a makeshift rack along a closet ceiling instead of taking up room on the floor.
8. Find tiny lost items (like jewelry) by placing a stocking over a vacuum hose – The stocking allows enough air to pass through to create suction but items can’t pass through.
9. Use magnetic strips to store bobby pins, tweezers, and clippers – The strip could easily behind a vanity door in the bathroom; the possibilities are endless. Consider doubling up the magnetic strips to hold larger items.
10. Prevent your shoes from getting your clothes dirty in a suitcase by placing them in a shower cap – Shower caps are available for no cost at most hotels in the United States.
11. Reuse bread tabs as cord labels.
12. Install a tension rod under your sink to store your spray bottles and free up space.
13. Use dish soap to wash grease off your hands – Regular hand soap doesn’t really do much against certain oils. Dish soap includes some extra heavy duty ingredients to dissolve grease on contact.
14. Pour salt on an egg that has broken on the carpet and vacuum the mess after the salt has soaked up the egg.
15. Use LED lights to easily illuminate dark closets and cabinets – LED lights are incredibly inexpensive and last forever (I like the tap lights).
16. Use slim line hangers to hang twice as much clothes as regular hangers in the same amount of space.
17. Disguise dings and scrapes on wood furniture by rubbing them with a walnut.
If you were already familiar with these tips, congratulations on being so clever! For the other readers who learned something new, please share this article with your friends.
What clever tips do you have that aren’t on this list? Please send me an email or leave your tip in the comment section below!
Category: Quick Tips